Saturday, September 28, 2013

MEAT & MILK


I am writing today with a feeling of disgust. Not just towards the meat/dairy industry but towards myself.

I can't believe it took me 10 years of consciousness (assuming I started thinking for myself and making choices at the age of 10) to realise that I could never eat an animal.

I can't believe that with the knowledge of cruel animal treatment, I still ignored it and wished the cows I ate were treated better and just kept on eating.

When I turned super environmental, everyone thought I was vegetarian and my answer would be "Noooo I love steak!! Can never live without it!"

And then when I was informed about how meat increases your chances of cardiovascular diseases and slows down your digestion as you get older, I started thinking "Okay I'll stop eating meat when I turn 40 or 50".

And now, it just hit me.

There is NO WAY I can ingest an animal "product", whether in liquid or solid form. There is no way I can ever ignore what happens in the industrial farms - watch the video above. With the volume on loud.

Even in farms where animals are let loose to roam the fields, there comes a time where they get locked up in tiny cages and get shot/hammered/sliced/...

They say even the milking cows live worse lives as they are TIED to mechanical pumps for the milk and live 4 YEARS INSTEAD OF 20.





In fact: "The United States dairy herd produced 83.9 billion kg of milk in 2007, up from 52.6 billion kg in 1950. Yet there are more than 9 million cows on U.S. dairy farms—about 13 million fewer than there were in 1950." 
Less cows, more milk - see the imbalance there?! Imagine a woman breastfeeding for 100 children, every day.

How is this acceptable?! How can you ignore this reality, which is only hidden by slaughterhouse- and farm- walls?? Today's media/technology can show us what really goes on, and it's time we all open our eyes, take action, and eat sustainable ethical food.


THERE ARE alternatives to your favourite meat/dairy products.


You have soy, almond, rice and oat milk. Which you can make at home.

You have a variety of veggie burgers, with different combinations of vegetables.
You have tofu that can soak up any marination.for chicken/egg/cheese replacement.
You can make cashew cheese..
You have eggplant that can give you a similar consistency to flesh...

The list goes on.


Check: http://www.vegancooking.com for vegan recipes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment