Monday, December 30, 2013

How I Stopped Drinking Water

While most people are making resolutions for 2014, my body decided to do something on its own for the last week of 2013.

I kinda.. stopped drinking water. I may have had no more than 2 cups during the past week..

And the reason is that I've been drinking my water through RAW FRUITS AND VEGETABLES! :)

How much water do you think is contained in this picture?


It's roughly about 90% of the weight in this image.

Bananas contain approximately 74% water, apples and tomatoes 84%, strawberries and spinach 92%, lettuce and cucumber 96%.. you get the idea.

So here's what I eat in one day:

2 cups of orange juice
2 bananas (that's 186 g of water or about a cup)
2 cups of strawberries (almost 1 & 3/4 cups of water)
A biiiig salad with carrots, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes - so if it's about 4 cups and 92% of it is water then let's say 3 & 3/4 cups of water)


So far so good right? It's already 8.5 cups of water. Of course, if I don't salt my food then it's even better and I don't feel thirsty at all. If I have soy sauce in my salads or sushi or wraps, I make up for the saltiness with lots of carrots and cucumbers -it works! And I'm not even trying. :)
Now, moving on with the second half of my day:
1 green juice, about 2 cups and it's mainly vegetables/low-fructose fruits, completely quenches my thirst and makes me feel full! (or another juice, or another 2 bananas)
After that, I could have a raw dessert (usually almonds, cocoa, dates) and I'm not thirsty.
Then I have a salad or wrap,  stir-fried vegetables, or even a soup (ok that's kinda cheating, but I have made soups without any added water, so it's more a puree of steamed vegetables).


And I'm still not thirsty!
So by now, that's about another 2 cups of water and let's say it stops here so I've had over 11 cups of water that day. It's more than enough, I still pee several times a day, my skin's not dry, and nothing else is. I also feel less bloated - water just has a bad effect on me!

There were days when I tried drinking filtered water and what happens?
I immediately pee it out. Or I wake up 3 times a night to go pee - it's not fun, especially in winter.

Now, maybe this waterlessness is a winter thing? But I typically juice more in the summer or eat more watery fruits, so hmm...

A couple of quick points I want to make:

1- Water was never drunk by the Ancient Egyptians - and while they still had bad health in some cases, they would drink juice, wine and beer instead - why? Because water wasn't clean back then! What?!
The Nile still had bacteria from dead animals and decaying matter, and honestly nothing has changed now. Our waters are dirty. Only we've made them even dirtier. And while we can filter out some things, there are some we can't (antibiotics, cocaine, hormones are found in water no matter how well it's been filtered). I don't want any of that! So that brings me to my second point:

2- Fruits, vegetables, and just plants in general filter water really well. Sometimes you still find traces of metals and they can be poisonous but I buy my food from organic farms or grow at home so really the risk isn't there. Plants filter the water in the root system, in the stems and the leaves - that's more advanced than any super tech expensive system we'll ever create. And that's also why they use plants in bioremediation of contaminated waters (something I study and love).

PLANTS PLANTS PLANTS! <3
Plant plants, please.

3- It's so much cheaper to drink CLEAN PLANT-FILTERED WATER FROM PLANTS! No need for filters, which create pollution (in their construction phase) and waste, and no need for water bottles that also pollute (plastic production) and contaminate us with plastic by-products that find their ways in the water and act as endocrine disruptors (they mess up with your hormones, for both men and women).

4- That leaves a lot more water to be abstracted for irrigation, and our hygienic needs (shower, laundry, dishes, etc). 

Some countries need it badly.




No comments:

Post a Comment